Important Links to Fire Safety Information
FIRE SAFETY NOTICE
IN THE EVENT OF FIRE, STAY CALM. NOTIFY THE FIRE DEPARTMENT AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS OF FIRE DEPARTMENT PERSONNEL. IF YOU MUST TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION, USE YOUR JUDGMENT AS TO THE SAFEST COURSE OF ACTION, GUIDED BY THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
YOU ARE IN A NON-COMBUSTIBLE (FIREPROOF) BUILDING
If The Fire Is In Your Apartment
- · Close the door to the room where the fire is and leave the apartment.
- · Make sure EVERYONE leaves the apartment with you.
- · Take your keys.
- · Close, but do not lock, the apartment door.
- · Alert people on your floor by knocking on their doors on your way to the exit.
- · Use the nearest stairwell to leave the building.
- · DO NOT USE THE ELEVATOR.
- · Call 911 once you reach a safe location. Do not assume the fire has been reported unless firefighters are on the scene.
- · Meet the members of your household at a pre-determined location outside the building. Notify the firefighters if anyone is unaccounted for.
If The Fire Is Not In Your Apartment
- · Stay inside your apartment and listen for instructions from firefighters unless conditions become dangerous.
- · If you must exit your apartment, first feel the apartment door and doorknob for heat. If they are not hot, open the door slightly and check the hallway for smoke, heat or fire.
- · If you can safely exit your apartment, follow the instructions above for a fire in your apartment.
- · If you cannot safely exit your apartment or building, call 911 and tell them your address, floor, apartment number and the number of people in your apartment.
- · Seal the doors to your apartment with wet towels or sheets, and seal air ducts or other openings where smoke may enter.
- · Open windows a few inches at top and bottom unless flames and smoke are coming from below.
- · Do not break any windows.
- · If conditions in the apartment appear life-threatening, open a window and wave a towel or sheet to attract the attention of firefighters.
- · If smoke conditions worsen before help arrives, get down on the floor and take short breaths through your nose. If possible, retreat to a balcony or terrace away from the source of the smoke, heat or fire.